Monday, April 03, 2006

Some Things In Life May Change And Some Things Stay The Same

1.23pm
Radio = Damien Rice - Older Chests

A lot has happened the past week. Nothing drastic, just events taking place. For once I experienced disappointment. Something that has never been felt for a while. I hated the feeling. 3 weeks of dedicated Streetcraft training finally revealed it's outcome. The team came in 4th. ..As Im typing this, I wished I had a gun right now. Not to shoot myself, but the noisy crows outside my window.. Anyways, I never expected I'd see people who I never thought would cry in public do just so. It must have meant that much to them. It had to be the passion to win cos I don't think I would have ever shouted that loud or performed the way I did during the unarmed tactics demonstration in the earlier rounds. A real adrenalin pumping experience. They said our performance was outstanding. Think trainers were pleasantly surprised of me in particular. So was I. I admit I held back during training. But that was perhaps just saving the best for last a. I was silently confident that we'd get at least a 3rd placing cos that was where we were coming into the last segment of the competition. Commander's moment of consoling the team was forgettable. It felt more of pity than trying to empathize. I'll never forget those faces of dejection. We gave our all to succeed. Guess God didn't have that in his plans. Later I made my way out to rush for Damien Rice's concert. As I left the team, I remember thinking to myself whether I'll ever see them again. Different teams and work schedules. Faces that were alien at the beginning and now all so familiar to me. Im missing them already.

It was a mad rush for the concert. Took a taxi from work to City Hall. The cabbie earned himself the remaining change of $4. The bollock didn't have small change and I was in no position to dillydally. After meeting up with Sya, Imran and Marlina [the awkward group], we walked to Suntec. I wanted to run but Sya thought it was ridiculous and so throughout the journey, it was like Big Walk in the Olympics. Come to think of it, I don't know which one would have made us look like clowns. Mad running in our fashionably dressed clothes, then reaching the place covered in melted mascaras and liners and sweat..Imagine our state. Or Big walking that in fact cramped my butts [it did!] and then arriving there late and denied entry. Just something to talk about.

Alas, we reached with some buffer time. As we entered the theatre, I saw the stage. It was smoky filled with candelabras. Instantly, I knew this was going to be an intimate soulful concert. Our central seatings were better than expected actually. And more unexpectedly was the way Damien Rice made his entry. Like a soundman, he walked nonchalantly into the stage and forward to the mic. The moment he open strummed his guitar into The Professor's tune, everyone hushed. The silence was calm, guitar plucks and strums so clean and clear. What struck me most was Damien Rice's vocals. They were tight and polished. Never once throughout all the songs did he fail to reach those seemingly unreachable high notes or control the tricky low ones. I was very impressed by his guitarsmanship. His close crowd interaction, stage antics and down to earth artiste behaviour were also delightful. Obliging to song requests without much hesitation only endeared himself to the crowd. The charmer. It was obvious, he had everyone warmed up to him..well maybe except for the guy sitting next to me. Slouching on his seat, he didn't seem to be enjoying the show. I don't recall hearing any laughs from him whenever Damien cracked a joke or silly explanation. His coughs was the only thing that reminded me of his presence. There was something about his stoic attitude that I found very irritating. And did I mention he had bad breath too? Pity the girl who was with him.

I didn't take any pictures. Sya had easily left the camera at home and Marlina's camera couldn't take the dark environment even with flash. What of Imran? He didn't even bring his MD to start with! So what more of camera. Bah! That just strengthens my need for a new and better camera. Through my sorry handphone recordings, I calculated D.R played about 17 songs. Each and every one different but similar in how they pulled the emotions with such ease. Cannonball, Cold Water, Unplayed Piano, I Remember, Volcano, Eskimo and The Blower's Daughter just the few to name. Actually Im doing the rest of the songs injustice by naming the earlier ones cos they were all so f**king good. What was more amazing was that they sounded better live! The only thing that was sorely missing was Lisa Hannigan's angelic voice echoing through. Still, D.R showed he could hold a performance together on his own. Kudos to him. By the time it ended, I was left wanting for more of him. If I could, I would have had him play all night until I got tired of him..Like any of those could happen. Watching D.R was a bittersweet experience. He was real. And that was what made him outstanding. And so it is.. just like I thought it'd be. Damien Rice was brilliant.


If I hadn't realised how brilliant an album this is,
I would have now.

One for the soul searchers


A pity Lisa Hannigan didn't come.


Lately, I've been thinking about Ms Sandy. Whether I should do anything to change the situation between us. I don't know why but perhaps there's the fear of losing her to someone else and then Im left with hundreds of questions of what ifs. I've had those things happening to me so many times. I know that wouldn't be justifying any of the actions I could take to change things, but I worry. Im just uncertain of what I want right now. But I do wanna know how things will be like if we ever make it. And that could just be the motivator..

On the financial side of things, it is not looking too good. Heard from sis that the business is not doing well lately. Dad's general bills and debts are accumulating. I hope that this is not a curse or anything like that cos rarely have we had any riches to enjoy. I am thankful for what we have but I wished we never had to worry too much about finances to enjoy life. I just hope and pray things will turn for the better God permits. And I've decided that Im gonna start putting aside $50 -$100 each month apart from savings starting April onwards. My personal piggy. See how it grows..just like I used to do. Save it for rainy days or whatever. Hope this works.

Oh yes, just for another change, I've decided to experiment with a smaller and different font for the writings.

It's 5.10pm?? I think Im gonna do something else now. Not that I can think of what to do next..

Cheers and love.

5.16pm


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home